Search This Blog

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Gone Girl | Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl is a mystery/thriller novel about a women who goes missing on the day of her fifth wedding anniversary. The clues seem to point to a murder by her husband, but things don’t seem to be adding up. 

Yes, yes, yes! THIS is the book that I have been so desperately waiting for. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book that completely consumed me from beginning to end. I kept saying to myself, just one more chapter…okay maybe just one more… This was literally a book I couldn’t put down. I read all 400+ pages in less than a day. I usually guess the endings to books, but this one had me blindsided at each and every turn!

The chapters go back and forth between the husband and wife’s perspective. At first the marriage seems pretty normal, with just some slight troubles. As the book goes on, Flynn expertly peels back the many layers to this complex story. You start to realize how bizarre and messed up their marriage really was. You think that you know who to trust and what’s going on, but that kept changing throughout the story. Also, I thought that the characters were relatable on the surface level—even though you may not want to relate to any of them. Each chapter had me surprised and wanting to read more.

I don’t want to say too much about this book, because it is better the less you know going into it. All you need to know is that it is disturbingly haunting, yet intriguing. I am planning on watching the movie version now, but I assume that it will not come anywhere near as epic as this novel. I also just added all of Flynn’s other novels to my “must read” list. 

I would recommend this book to adults. There is a lot of disturbing and sexual content that may be not be appropriate for younger audiences. This is a book that I will definitely be raving about to everyone! 

Let me know what you think if you have read this book!


 *****   5/5 Stars