Search This Blog

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Supremes at Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat | Edward Kelsey Moore

This is a book about three African-American friends in their fifties, known as “The Supremes”, in their small town in Indiana. They spend every Sunday after church at the local diner, Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat. This book chronicles their lives together from the 1960’s to present day. Above all, it is a book about friendship.

If there was ever a book that was a perfect example of how to do character development, this would be it. Moore makes me feel as if I know each of the characters on a deeper level than most other books. I can even picture the supporting characters and their mannerisms. The characters unfold throughout the chapters without feeling drawn out or forced. While this book deals with many serious issues such as racism, child abuse, death, cancer, infidelity and more, it never feels too heavy. The characters are full of enough wit and humor to make you forget how devastating their pasts are, and realize how beautiful their present is. It is a perfect balance of heartache and heartwarming. This book leads you through the three women’s separate stories, but friendship is the theme that ties everything together. I found myself wishing that I had a group of friends like The Supremes. They are so different from each other, but they feel so real and complement each other perfectly. This is one book that I really hope becomes a movie someday. I want to see Odette and Clarice and Barbara Jean and Big Earl all come to life. The book did such a great job of describing the characters and scenes that I can already picture how the movie would look (call me up Hollywood!). 

I only have two complaints about this book. First of all, the story jumps around in time periods from 1960 to present day, so it can be a little confusing at times. Secondly, the chapters are sometimes in first-person (from Odette’s perspective) and sometimes from a third-person perspective. I think that the book would have been successful if it stayed in third-person the whole time. However, neither of these things were too distracting or took away from the overall appeal of the book. Halfway through the book I barely even noticed anymore. 

I think this book would be a good read for any adult. It deals with real life issues that will touch every reader on some level. I didn’t think that I’d be able to relate to a group of fifty-something-year-old African-American ladies who grew up in a time of segregation and racism, but I sure saw pieces of myself and my life in a few of the characters and stories. I will definitely recommend this book to anyone I know! 

Let me know what you think if you have read this book!


* * * * * 5/5 Stars