Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2015

Paper Towns | John Green

Paper Towns is a coming-of-age story about a boy, Q, who has always been “in love” with his next door neighbor, Margo. One night she takes him on a crazy adventure, and the next day she disappears. Q does everything to find out who Margo really is, and where did she go? For a more complete summary, you can go here. You can also learn more about John Green here.

This is a very exciting novel that I think most teens can relate to. It deals with typical issues like love, friendships, and peer pressure, but it is more introspective than that. Green really helps the readers think about how we see others and how we see ourselves. Is the way we view others impacted by what we think of ourselves? And vice versa. It asks the readers to think about how well you really know other people. Sometimes we hold people in our lives up on a pedestal and we imagine their lives to be happy and perfect and better than our own…but that might not always be accurate. This is also a book about acceptance and true friendship. We may find flaws in our friends, and they find flaws in us too, but they still accept us. I really loved how analytical Green was about relationships in this book. It really created a lot of new thoughts for me. 

This novel also had a lot of adventures. There’s an awesome night of pranks and a long, but memorable road trip. Those are the moments that we have to create in our lives. Most people do the same mundane things every day. I know the moments I remember most from high school were the moments when I felt out of my comfort-zone, but also exhilarated. High school is really the time for people to explore dangerous, but exciting adventures with friends. This book brought back a lot of those memories for me, and hopefully it inspires teens to make some of those moments for themselves too. 

I would recommend this book to anyone, but I think it is written more for a teen audience. I think adults can find a lot to appreciate about this book too. 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read this book, you can view John Green's responses to some popular questions about the book here. Then let me know what you think of the novel! 

 *****   5/5 Stars