Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

Sharp Objects | Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects is a thriller about a reporter, Camille, who has to reluctantly travel back to her hometown to write about the murder of two young girls. Camille has an ugly past filled with death, cutting, and violence. This is the story of her discovering the mystery of a brutal town filled with evil people. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

I am always leery about reading other novels from an author that I love. Sometimes the book is too different, or too similar, from the original book that impressed me. But, wow, this book was incredible! I think this solidifies Gillian Flynn as one of my new favorite authors! It was similar to Gone Girl (read my review here) in that it was a psychological thriller—-all of the main characters are seriously messed up. It leaves you confused, intrigued, and disturbed…in the best way possible. Flynn does not write “feel good” books. If you’re looking for that, then this book is not for you. If you want a book that you compulsively read until you finally finish it at 3am, then this is the book for you. 

Other than those few things, this book is an entirely different story and format than Gone Girl, which I really appreciated. I could tell the writing was similar, but Flynn created some amazing and unique voices for the characters in this book. The book definitely gives an outsider’s perspective. Camille is a reporter and very observant, and she is also out-of-place in her old hometown, so the writing really makes you feel that emotion. 

There are some very graphic and disturbing parts to this book, but I didn’t really bother me in this context. I didn’t like any of the main characters, but that’s ok, I don’t think we are supposed to. Flynn doesn’t seem to make relatable characters. Instead, she creates characters that have been through hell and back and how they react to it. Not every story can be about resilience and happy endings. This story is brutal, raw, and beautiful. 

I will definitely recommend this book to anyone! Again, it’s not for people who love light and happy stories. It is also not for the faint-hearted. But, oh my gosh, it’s worth a shot. Flynn’s last book is on my “must-read” list for sure!

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here, and look through the discussion questions here. After you have read it let me know what you think! 


 *****   5/5 Stars