Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Nightmare Affair | Mindee Arnett

The Nightmare Affair is a young adult fantasy novel about a girl, Dusty, who is a Nightmare. She literally feeds off of other people’s dreams. When a girl in her school of other paranormals goes missing, she is recruited to solve the mystery by seeing the future in Eli’s dreams.  For a more complete summary, you can go here. To learn more about the author, go here.

This is definitely my favorite genre of books, so I may be a little biased in my review. I love the concept of Nightmares as actual physical beings. That idea seemed very fresh and original. However, as a whole this story seemed…familiar. I can’t quite identify the elements that were familiar to me, but they were definitely there. It is very obvious that she was inspired by J.K. Rowling and other young adult fantasy novels. With that said, there is a reason why these types of books are popular. Books that are similar to other popular books can get fans easily since the readers are looking for a book to read next based off of their favorites. 

The book had a little bit of mystery, but I guessed the twist from early on (but I do have a compulsive need to figure out the ending before the story tells me). Very few books actually surprise me in the end. There’s also a little bit of romance (which I can’t help but slightly roll my eyes to…its just so cliche in young adult books). Most of the characters also seemed cliche—i.e. the blonde popular girl, the popular jock, the nerd seeking revenge, the outcasts, etc. 

I did really enjoy this book, mainly because I enjoy this genre as a whole. Compared to other books in this genre, it definitely isn’t one of the best, but I would still recommend it to anyone. I am looking forward to reading the next few books in the series (though I usually don’t enjoy beyond the first book in a series). If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here, and look through the reading guide here. After you have read it let me know what you think! 

P.S. I get to meet the author tomorrow (and get my book signed)! I am so excited!


 ****   4/5 Stars

Update 4/23/15: Here are my photos from my visit with Mindee. She also agreed to a Q&A with me, so check it out here!