Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Rosie Project | Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project is about a guy, Don, that decides to create an extensive questionnaire in order to find his perfect wife. Don is no ordinary man. He has every minute of every day planned out and he has only two friends. He is a geneticist and believes that science can help him find his true match. Until he meets Rosie. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

This book was charming and fun! I didn’t want to put it down! I also enjoyed the quirkiness of all of the main characters. A lot of reviewers have compared Don to Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, but I wasn’t picturing that at all while I was reading. However, I can see the comparisons. They are both very intellectually minded and socially inept, have particular routines, and don’t know how to act in a relationship. Rosie is the exact opposite in every way. I also enjoyed her side of the story and seeing her come to terms with some family issues. 

It seems like a lot of books now are highlighting Asperger’s Syndrome. Don is never officially diagnosed with it, but it is definitely hinted at. I think it is great that this is getting more publicity, but at the same time I worry about readers (and writers) starting to stereotype how a person with Asperger’s behaves. 

I only had a few small issues with this book. First of all, Don gets a lot of advice from his friend Gene and Gene’s wife, Claudia. Gene is a serial cheater that is trying to hookup with a woman from every country. I had a problem with how often Don took their advice on relationships, considering how messed up their marriage is. At some point Don begins to realize that is a problem too, so I felt better after he resolved that. I also hate when (SPOILER ALERT) a relationship is slow to start, then all of a sudden there’s marriage. I just feel like that’s not realistic, and yet a lot of novels make that happen. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It really makes you think about our every day actions and how we behave in relationships. I recommend this book to men or women that are looking for a humorous love story. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here, and look through the discussion questions here. After you have read it let me know what you think! 


 ****   4/5 Stars