Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2015

Sliding into Home | Kendra Wilkinson

Sliding into Home is a memoir about Kendra Wilkinson, ex-girlfriend of Hugh Hefner and star of the TV show “The Girls Next Door”. She details her troubled childhood and teenage years and her rise to fame via the Playboy mansion. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

I’ll be completely honest, I am embarrassed to even write a review about this book. Just like I am embarrassed to admit that I watch “The Bachelor”. Sometimes, you need to read or watch something a little trashy to feel better about your own life…I can’t believe I just admitted that. With that said, this book is exactly what you would expect. It’s entertaining and that’s about it. 

I appreciate how honest Kendra was in this book. She admitted a lot of things that most people would be too embarrassed or scared to ever admit. She talks about all the drugs she used (hint: it’s a lot), how she lost her virginity, her time in the psych ward, her cutting habit, and her experience in the Playboy mansion. Along with her honesty comes a lot of name-dropping. I’m actually really surprised that she didn’t get sued for using celebrities real names. I’m also really surprised that Hugh Hefner allowed her to put some things she said about him in that book. She did try to make it like him having a ton of girlfriends was a totally normal thing. I’m sorry, but I will never agree with that. 

As far as writing goes, this book was horrible. It took me a few chapters before I could get past the horrible grammar to actually enjoy the story, but I did enjoy it. I didn’t want to like it, but I’ll admit that I was curious about what really goes on at the Playboy mansion. Take this book for what you will. It was an enjoyable, quick read, but it was definitely not a moving piece of literature. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 


 ***   3/5 Stars