Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2015

Surrounding Saturdays: A College Journal | Joseph Sitzwohl

Surrounding Saturdays is a short journal-turned-memoir about the college experience of a student from The Ohio State University. It chronicles some of his experiences including his first week in college, his classes, study abroad trips, and standout life events. 

I am a graduate of The Ohio State University (OSU), so this book really resonated with me. I found myself nodding along to a lot of sections because it reflected some of my own experiences. I think other people who went to college might be able to reminisce about their own experiences while reading this. I know his target audience is high schoolers, and I can see how that would be accurate. I think it could be a small glimpse into what it means to go to college. Granted, every person has a slightly different college experience, but I thought Joe did a great job of highlighting the atmosphere of OSU. 

The book included a lot of quotes and doodles. It really made me feel like I was looking into Joe’s journal. I could also recognize a lot of the landmarks in his doodles. I think both of the quotes and doodles added to the personal connection this book aims to create. 

My only complaint is that I felt like my reading experiences were cut short. I understand that it is a short book, but I wanted so much more! I wish I could read so much more about his trips to Australia and Singapore. Those are journeys that most people wish to have, but never actually do. I know he only included meaningful experiences, but I also kind of wish he included the bad and the ugly too. I think that high schoolers would appreciate knowing what parts of college aren’t so great. 

Overall, this was a quick read (I read it all in one sitting) and was pretty good. I would recommend it for anyone trying to understand what college may be like (especially OSU) or anyone reflecting on their own college experiences. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Check out my Q & A with Joseph here!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free, but that did not alter my review in any way. 

 ****   4/5 Stars





If you like books like this, you should also check out these books: