Search This Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Fifty Shades Freed | EL James

Fifty Shades Freed is the third book in the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. It is about a wealthy businessman, Christian, who is very controlling in all aspects of his life, especially when it comes to women. In this book, Christian and Anastasia start to understand what it will take to be married and start a future together. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t going to even review this book because its, well, embarrassing. I gave into the hype about the Fifty Shades books and I have a compulsive need to finish a trilogy. I also kept reading because I wanted to know why Christian is so messed up (hint: you don’t find out until page 505 of the third book…ugh). I also made this mistake of reading a series that my sister-in-law gave me, Crossfire, in between reading the Fifty Shades books. I kept forgetting which event happened in which series because they were so similar. Eerily similar. They seemed to be basically the same series with slightly different events. 

While reading this book, I found myself rolling my eyes countless times and skipping whole sections of the book. Why do we need almost 600 pages of the same thing happening over and over and over again. They are madly in love. They have sex. They have an explosive argument about nothing. They have sex. Repeat. This is the definition of an unhealthy relationship. Putting aside all the BDSM (which is each person’s prerogative and I will not judge about that), this relationship is completely unhealthy. There is no content or happy in it. Their relationship is always either full of euphoria or anger—no in between. It makes me sad because I know some people who desire a relationship like this. People cannot compare their relationships to one in a book. 

With all that said…it is an entertaining book. I would have preferred it to be about a third of the length. (I mean do we really need all the long winded descriptions of cutting hair and cooking food?) And even when serious events were happening, I didn’t feel any real emotions. It all seemed like a cheesy soap opera. I understand why this trilogy is so popular (ehem, it starts with “S” and ends with “X”), but the writing is definitely not top quality, so don’t expect a great piece of literature with this one. 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 


 **   2/5 Stars