Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Something Borrowed | Emily Giffin

Something Borrowed is a love story about Rachel, who falls in love with her best friend’s fiancé, Dex. They begin a complicated (and secret) love affair. Which woman will Dex choose? For a more complete summary, you can go here.

I think we’ve all had a friend like Darcy at some point in our lives. She’s the friend that we love to hate—or perhaps we hate that we love her? She’s the friend who is super outgoing and everyone seems to love, but you end up being the dirty rag that she uses and throws away when it’s convenient. She’s the friend that you try to pull away from, but your history together keeps pulling you back in. While  reading this, I kept rolling my eyes at Darcy, but I realized that I have had friends like that too, and sometimes it is easier to just put up with them than to be on their hit-list. Then it gets complicated because Rachel falls for Darcy’s fiancé. She’s in a love-hate relationship with Darcy, so maybe this is the excuse she needs to get out of a toxic friendship? In this story, I was torn because I was partly hoping that it would be about how friendship should always come before a man, but I also hated Darcy, so I was kind of hoping for her to get a little bit of karma. 

I also have issues with books abut affairs. I wanted to shake Rachel because her new relationship with Dex seems all perfect and wonderful because it’s new. She’s naive if she thinks that they will never have any problems. 

Overall, this is a good, light read. I read it while on vacation on the beach, and it is perfect for that exact setting. Nobody wants to read a depressing or deep book while relaxing on the beach! 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 ****   4/5 Stars


If you like books like this, you should also check out these books: