Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Room | Jonas Karlsson

The Room is a satirical novel about office life with a psychological twist—Bjorn enters a room in his office building that no one else can see. He believes his coworkers are conspiring against him and they all can actually see the room too. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

This is one of those books that I feel that I just don’t get. It has a ton of amazing reviews saying that it is insightful and funny. I didn’t get that impression. At all. It was not funny at all. If it was a satire, the tone just wasn’t right. It reminded me of how the movie “Office Space” takes a funny outlook on office jobs, but this book missed the mark. 

The main character, Bjorn, was arrogant and delusional. He thought he was the best at everything. He probably would be diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome if he was a real person. I didn’t like him as a character. Actually, I didn’t like or feel any attachment to any of the characters. Even though the book was written in Bjorn’s perspective, I didn’t feel like I really even knew him as a person. 

Then there’s the whole element of the mysterious room that only Bjorn can see. I understand that it is supposed to be a commentary on personal space and privacy in a workplace, but it still didn’t resonate with me. I was happy when this book ended, but it still left a lot to be desired and left me scratching my head. 

The good thing about this book was that the chapters were only a few pages or less, so it was a very quick read. My favorite part of the book was this quote, “It was a calm, factual crying. Good crying. Water cleansing the tubes, rather like clearing a gutter of leaves and pine needles. A way to get rid of negative energy and make room for something better. It was as if I could feel all the improper thoughts flying away, and new ones taking their place. Better ones. A fresh start.” That quote, and the fact that it was a quick read were the only reasons why I gave this book two stars instead of one. I would not recommend it to anyone to read. 

If you are still interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 **   2/5 Stars


Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


If you like books like this, you should also check out these books:





The Double Bind












Cinder










The Shore