Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Tuck Everlasting | Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting is a fantasy novel about a young girl that meets a family that seems to never age. She quickly feels a connection with the Tucks and learns more about life than she ever expected. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

I recently bought a copy of this book for 25 cents from a garage sale since I remember reading and loving it as a kid. Woah…this book is a whole lot deeper than I remember. I always thought it was a cool story about a family that could live forever, but really it is about life and death. It explores eternal life and whether it would actually be good to live forever. And if you do live forever, would you do something worth taking up the extra space in this world? If everyone lived forever, what would become of Earth? My favorite quote is, “Don’t be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” This is one of those books that is pretty short, but will change the way you think about life forever. 

The only thing that kind of weirded me out was the hinted romance between an eleven year old and a seventeen year old. Nothing happens between them, but it was weird to me that there was even a hint of something more than friendship with them. In the movie version, I think the age gap is much closer between the two.

I remember the book ending the opposite way that it actually does. I started to get mad while I was reading, thinking, “That can’t be the way that this ends! That’s not right at all…” But I was pleasantly surprised that I was just remembering incorrectly. Phew!

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 *****   5/5 Stars

If you like books like this, you should also check out these books:





 A Wrinkle in Time



                









The Hobbit             











The Nightmare Affair