Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Language of Flowers | Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Language of Flowers is a story about a girl, Victoria, who grew up in the foster care system. She has always pushed away any relationships before they can form and has a dark view on life. And yet, she has a beautiful gift for communicating via flowers that helps many others. For a more complete summary, you can go here.

This book is so raw and real. I had a hard time reading it because I could feel the pain in it. So many times I wanted to scream at Victoria, “No! Stop! You’ll ruin everything!” She constantly feels unworthy of love and takes it away from herself and others. When she starts to get a glimpse of happiness, she runs the other way. It is so heart breaking because she never got to feel love in her childhood, which has impacted her whole life. The words are so vivid that the story felt like a true diary of someone in so much emotional pain. This is not a happy summer read, but it opened my eyes up to a lot and provided me with many incredible emotions. I could feel my heart racing while reading this, which is very powerful. 

The only reason why I didn’t give this book five stars, is that some parts started to drag on and go really slow. But overall, it was amazing. I’m having a hard time putting into words what this book made me feel. My opinion is that any book that makes you feel something strong, whether good or bad feelings, is remarkable. 

I also really enjoyed learning about the meanings behind flowers. I knew that flowers had meanings, but I never really thought about the messages that they can send to other people, and how they can get misconstrued. I guess you can compare that to any other nonverbal communication—it is easy to misinterpret. The back of the book actually has a dictionary of the meanings of many different flowers. 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 ****   4/5 Stars


If you like books like this, you should also check out these books: