Search This Blog

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Destruction | Sharon Bayliss

Destruction is about a man that finds his long lost children from his affair after the death of their mother. The two new children have to move in with his other three children and wife. They soon learn that they are actually all a family of Dark Wizards. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I’ll be honest, when I am given a free copy of a book to review, I generally don’t have high hopes. Sometimes I get a good book, but usually the free books are terrible or just okay. This book was incredible. I have been waiting a long time for a fantasy novel to be original and interesting. Lately, all the fantasy novels I have read have either been too close to other fantasy novels, or they are innovative but boring. Destruction took its time to build the plot and develop the characters, but yet it never got boring. It was the perfect pace to build up for the rest of the series. I am also so tired of fantasy books with a clear villain and a clear ending, but this book had lots of surprises without seeming forced. So, I am awarding this book with my medal, The Best Book Award!

It is amazing to me how a book with so many main characters can develop each character better than some books with only one main character. They each had their own strengths and flaws. I loved and hated them all for different reasons, but I wanted them all to succeed. That is pretty powerful. 

For a book about wizards, it really was innovative in the way that wizards were portrayed. They don’t sit around reading spell books or creating potions. All the spells are much more natural (and sometimes on accident). I also loved how good and evil (or should I say, dark and light), are presented in this book. It isn’t so black and white as some wizard stories. The family of wizards are all Dark Wizards, but that doesn’t make them bad people. I see it more about intent. Dark magic is destructive by nature, but it doesn’t have to be used to destroy good. Bayliss describes all of this brilliantly and beautifully. 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 *****   5/5 Stars


**Disclaimer: I received a free review copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.**









Check out the companion post to this book by Sharon Bayliss herself! 


Also, check out my Q &A with Sharon










If you like books like this, you should also check out these books: