Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Magic Combination of Reading and Dogs

The other day I was talking to a lady that I used to work with. She has been a teacher for over twenty years. She combined her love for children and animals by starting up a therapy dog program in her school. She was able to recruit volunteers to train dogs to be calm and caring enough to be in a school. Then children were allowed to sign up for time slots to go to this classroom to read to the dogs. It helped introverted kids practice reading aloud, it allowed children with intellectual and mental disabilities to get some extra quiet time outside of the classroom, and it enabled children to experience love and affection from dogs that they may not be getting from any other source. My coworker’s story has inspired me to leave my own legacy. I want to design and implement my own program that will help children who are struggling mentally, intellectually, emotionally, or otherwise. Who’s with me?

There is a program called Reading Education Assistance Dogs (R.E.A.D.) that is always looking for people to start up their own local team. Check them out!