Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Hotel Cuba | Brian White

Genre: Fiction/Erotica
Number of Pages: 274
Perspective: First person
Location: Long Island/Cuba

Don has always loved his wife, but as a sex addict, he loves sex more. He dreams of making a resort in Cuba where married couples can go to live out their wildest fantasies together. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I know this is a book, but I’m going to compare it to some movies since I’ve never read a book like it before. You have a narcissistic sex addict, like in Don Jon—the lead character is also conveniently named Don…what’s with Dons? Then you have the indie film vibe that takes a behind the senses of strip club culture, like in Magic Mike—but with mostly female strippers. Then I kept thinking about the movie Couples Retreat. There are two islands: one island is for the couples to work on their relationship together, and the other island is crazy lusting and partying. This book is what the combo of those two islands would look like. 

This is one of those books where I hated every single character, but I still liked the book. The characters lack depth and are all only focused on the present moment and themselves. You watch most of the characters completely self-destruct because they aren’t focused on consequences. 

I am not sure how to really classify this novel. On Amazon, the genre is Plays/Theater, which is definitely not accurate at all. From the beginning, I assumed that it would be an Erotica book since it was about a fantasy resort. The whole book was essentially about sex, and there are some graphic sex scenes, but I still have a hard time calling it Erotica. It definitely wasn't romance since there was no love story; if anything, it was an anti-romance story. All the love seems to fall apart. If it is an Erotica novel, then it was the best novel of its genre that I have ever read. Typically those are full of smut, horrible writing, and unrealistic romances. This book definitely had smut, but the writing was actually pretty good, and surprisingly, I thought that most of it was pretty believable. 

I was shocked with how businessy this book was. It is more about what it would take to build this fantasy getaway, than the place itself. It took awhile to get to the meat of the story, and the Hotel Cuba was really only the last sixth of the book. 

Overall, it was an interesting story. I was kind of over it by the time I reached the end, but I enjoyed it. I think it kind of takes a stab at other Erotica novels; it makes people realize that their actions do have consequences. You can’t live a fanciful life and give into all temptations, and expect nothing bad to happen. I would recommend it to adults (18+). If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it hereAfter you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 4/5 Stars
*****

o Amber Gregg




*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*



If you like books like this, you should also check out these books: