Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2015

Q & A with Author Elyssa Friedland


I had the pleasure of interviewing the author Elyssa Friedland about her debut novel, Love and Miss Communication

What are your ambitions for your writing career? What would your career look like in an ideal world?

I'd love to publish a novel every two years. Any more than that is not realistic for me because I have three young children. Maybe when they are older I'll have more free time.  

Which writers inspire you?

Richard Russo, Meg Wolitzer, Ernest Hemingway, Joshua Ferris, Gillian Flynn  

Is there a Love and Miss Communication movie in the works? Who are your dream portrayals?

There has been a lot of TV interest, so that should be interesting. I keep picturing Emma Stone as Evie but I know she doesn't really do TV.  

Why didn’t Evie give up her cell phone too?

She still needed to function as a person, and her grandma was sick and she needed to be in touch. She just needed to stop the social media and the Googling everyone to grow as a person. 

Did you experiment and try giving up the internet as research for this book?

I gave up social media for quite a while and it felt amazing! 

Give us an insight into how you create your main characters. 

I just close my eyes and picture them in my head. Then I start to write down their major characteristics. They change a lot through the writing process and I have to do many revisions.  

How do you pick names for your characters?

Literally just out of my head! Sometimes I choose names of people that I have seen recently. It's not on purpose, it's just who is on my mind.  

What are you working on right now?

A second novel, this one about marriage.  

What draws you to writing women’s fiction?

I don't think of it as women's fiction. I just think of it as fiction. Half of my next book is told from the perspective of a man.  

Is that also your favorite genre to read?

Again, I don't love the label women's fiction. I just love fiction. I almost never read non-fiction.  

Why do you write?

I honestly feel compelled to write. I have a very vivid imagination and writing is my way of freeing the ideas swirling around my mind.  

What is the hardest thing about writing?

It takes a huge amount of discipline and self-motivation. I wish it wasn't so solitary.  

What is the easiest thing about writing?

You can do it anywhere and anytime. All you need is a laptop. So I'll steal a few minutes at the most random times to work.  

What book are you reading at present?

I'm reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. It's very good so far.  

Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?

Just be genuine on social media, give out copies of your book to friends who will share it, and stay positive. Introduce yourself at bookstores and libraries. 

What do you do to get book reviews? 

I had a wonderful publicist at Harper Collins. She managed that process for me.  

How can readers discover more about you and you work?


My website. www.elyssafriedland.com.


o Amber Gregg







Check out my review of Love and Miss Communication!