Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Nightmare Charade | Mindee Arnett

“I realized the real world had now become the dream. And I wanted to stay in it forever.”

The Nightmare Charade is the third and final installment in the Arkwell Academy series. It follows a nightmare and her dream-seeing partner/love interest in their latest mystery at a school for the paranormal. For a complete summary, you can go here.

This follows The Nightmare Affair and The Nightmare Dilemma. I was semi-disappointed with the second book, but I thought that Mindee did a great job tying up all the loose ends and concluding this trilogy. However, I do think that the ending was a little too perfect for my liking, but I suppose I prefer a little bit more of a twist than a happy ending. 

I have said this in all of my reviews of the Arkwell Academy series books, but I feel the need to say it again: this book still feels so similar to me. I can’t really put my finger on it, but it feels like a book I have read before, not to mention the similarities to Harry Potter (i.e. school for magic kind, reoccurring villain that can’t seem to actually die, ending up in the school hospital and recovering from near death, the guilty professors, etc.). I do think that this book dug the deepest out of the three in the series and attempted more complexity, but I think at some points it just became too confusing to keep all the new pieces of info straight. 

This book, like the other two, is very entertaining and cute, and I would recommend it to fantasy lovers. [Side note: this book is categorized as paranormal romance, which I can understand, but I still would consider it more young adult fantasy. The romance is a little more background—besides all the many, many kissing scenes]. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“If we eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

4/5 stars

*****


o Amber Gregg


*Disclaimer: I received a free ARC of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*











Check out my spotlight of this book here







Also, check out my Q & A session with Mindee





If you like books like this, you should also check out these books: