Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Modern Romance | Aziz Ansari


“When we have more options, we are actually less satisfied and sometimes even have a harder time making a choice at all.”

Genre: Humor
Number of Pages: 288
Perspective: First

In Modern Romance, Aziz Ansari explores what it's like to date and be in love in the modern world. He does extensive research and reports his findings in a humorous manner. For a complete summary, you can go here.


If you’ve read some of my other reviews, you probably know that I like to know little to nothing about a book before I read it. However, I unintentionally make assumptions about books based on my schema. I wrongfully assumed that this would be another comedian that writes a memoir about their whole life--but in this case, about his romantic experiences. Boy, was I wrong. But I was pleasantly surprised. 

My undergrad degree is in Human Development and Family Science, so I have had many, many classes in marriage, families, and intimate relationships. The research that Ansari did was very similar to what I learned about in those classes, but I would have much rather read his book instead of our boring textbooks. This is my proposition that this book should actually be used in intimate relationship classes! 

Ansari talks about many relevant topics. With all the new apps such as Tinder and OKCupid, I am grateful that dating was “simpler” when I was single. I had some dating experiences in high school, and I met my husband a few months into college, so I luckily didn’t have a long period of time trying to navigate the dating world. It seems like a lot of pressure! [Although, I did try out Tinder on my friend’s phone, and it was oddly exhilarating! Especially since it wasn’t my own heart on the line…]

This book has a ton of research to back up all of the findings, but Ansari’s humor makes it entirely readable and entertaining. Even his footnotes were hilarious! They were used sparingly and at the perfect moments. I think this is a piece that people would enjoy reading for pleasure, as well as using it to explore factual data. I could see people reading this in ten to twenty years and thinking, “Wow, that’s how dating used to work?!”


I appreciated how Ansari approached all of the topics as nonjudgmental as possible. He provided both perspectives on every topic and didn’t push his own beliefs (besides some well-placed witty remarks). I recommend this to anyone whether they are single or married, young or old. There’s something in it for everyone! If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it hereAfter you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Too many people spend way too much time doing the online part of online dating, not the dating part.”

4/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg


If you like books like this, you should also check out these books:



























Sliding Into Home