Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Q and A with Author Jill Amy Rosenblatt


Hi, Jill! Thanks for joining me. What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?

I seem to be drawn to the theme of growing up/growing older/growing wiser. I’m very attached to the idea of a character going through a definite arc of change through a story and being able to look back and see this character at the end of the book is very different from Chapter 1. The Fixer: The Naked Man is the start of Katerina Mills’ origin story, so expect that she is going to go through many trials by fire before it’s all over.  As far as genre goes, I’ve written chicklit (Project Jennifer), drama (For Better or Worse), and now suspense. One constant through all of the genres is I do try to add a bit of humor when and where I can, if I can. 

Where did your love of writing come from?

My mom. She passed it down to me in a gene. My mom is amazing. She’s so smart, talented, and creative. She has always been and is a huge reader. She is 
always honest with me about my work, and she is a wonderful editor. 

Reading and writing do seem to go hand-in-hand. What was the hardest part of writing The Fixer? 

This book has been a pleasure to write. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed the process as much as with this book. If I had to pick something, I would say the most difficult part of the writing was to make sure I kept detailed notes on all of the plot points and character descriptions/traits. There are some plots that will continue into the next books in the series so I have to make sure I am consistent.

That does seem to be the hardest part about writing a series. What did you enjoy most about writing The Fixer? 

Everything! I have gotten so attached to these characters that I wish I could write faster and see the whole series on paper already! The experience has been wonderful and I’m very grateful for it. It’s hard to explain and sounds very strange but my overactive imagination has been running amok with these characters and sometimes I feel like I’m just the typist taking everything down! I always do research when I write and the research has really helped the ideas flow. The plots and characters are coming together. I’m quite amazed by the whole process, really.

Do you write every single day? 

I don’t. I wish I did. There are some days when I just think about the series and I write down ideas, bits of scenes, and dialogue. Some days I will do research and read articles. However, if I don’t write for two or three days in a row, I become irritable and annoyed and I have to get back to it. I always feel better when I write. 

How hard is it to establish and maintain a career in fiction writing?

That’s a tough question to answer, because self-publishing has opened up a whole new world of possibilities. When I wrote Project Jennifer, self-publishing wasn’t quite as huge as it is now, so back then, I think the answer to that question was very difficult. I think if a writer can introduce readers to the character, and the character and story resonate with the reader, then it’s possible to begin to establish a career. 

When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? 

In my early twenties. My first love is screenwriting, because I was always a huge tv and movie watcher. I spent my twenties working on screenplays. Finally, I put that aside and moved on to writing books. 


o Amber Gregg