Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Fixer: The Naked Man | Jill Amy Rosenblatt

Genre: Mystery/Chick-Lit
Number of Pages: 122
Perspective: Third 
Location: New York

The Fixer is the first novella in a series following Katerina. She is struggling to pay her bills and tuition for law school, so she finds herself working in a private concierge position that makes her tons of money, fast. But the catch is that she has to do services that no one else wants or is able to do. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I really loved this book! It was a great speed and had enough description and action to keep me engaged the whole time. I was actually planning on giving this book five stars, but I really hate books that force you to read the next book by leaving huge cliffhangers. My opinion is that books in a series should leave one loose end to be tied up in the next book to keep readers wanting more. But this just felt like I only read the first half of one book. There were no resolutions or answers. By the time the next book comes out, I will forget all about this book and I will never really know what happens. This is especially annoying for a mystery book. That genre relies on the ending to tie everything together and to give the reader an “ah-ha” moment. Plus this book was only 122 pages. I felt like another 50 pages could have sufficiently ended the book, but still persuade the reader to go on to the next book in the series. It just really felt unfinished and frustrated me. 

With all that said, the part of the story that I did get was amazing! I like how the men in Katerina’s life seem like a metaphor for who she is. There is her ex-boss/hook-up that represents the person she hates, but is becoming herself. Then there is her new love interest that represents who she used to be, and perhaps still wants to be. And then there are a few guys that are helping her in this transition from “good” to “bad”. 

I also really love the theme of ethics and morals throughout the story. Where is the line drawn, and what dictates what is good and bad? 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it hereAfter you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 


 4/5 Stars

*****

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*


o Amber Gregg o