Search This Blog

Monday, October 5, 2015

We Were Liars | E. Lockhart

“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.” 

Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Number of Pages: 225
Perspective: First
Location: Island Near Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts 

We Were Liars is a story of a privileged rich family that spends each summer on their private island. Four of the kids are around the same age and spend every moment of their summers together, even though they barely speak to one another the rest of the year and don’t really know each other. But they are all sharing a huge secret. For a complete summary, you can go here

This is an example of a book that is saved by it’s ending. I am a sucker for good twists, and this definitely delivered on that. But the first 95% of the book was so terrible. I don’t read spoilers before reading a book, so I did not know that there was a twist. But the title is “We Were Liars”, so I just assumed that everything was a lie… and no more spoilers from me. I’m not that type of reviewer. 

The writing was very annoying. I understand that the author was probably trying to make the writing feel fluid and natural like thoughts, and tried to make it poetic. But the prose was frustrating to read. Sentences would be written normally for a while, but then
all of a sudden, 
the sentences start to be
broken apart and
written like this. 
Annoying?
Yes.

This is the type of book that really could have used some deeper character development. You know some events going on in their lives, but you really don’t know anything about any of the characters. I guess this is a statement that in the summer, anyone can be anyone they want and can separate themselves from their normal lives. 

I do like that this book takes a stance on privilege and prosperity. This family has no idea how to provide for themselves, so they will tear apart their own family if it means they can live a rich lifestyle. The themes of the book are worth diving into deeply. 

I think this is a book that everyone should still read, even though I didn’t give it a great rating. It can create a lot of discussion, and would be great for a book club! If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it hereAfter you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Do not accept an evil you can change.”  

 3/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg