Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Confess | Colleen Hoover

“There are people you meet that you get to know, and then there are people you meet that you already know.”

Genre: New Adult Romance
Number of Pages: 306
Perspective: First Alternating
Location: Dallas, Texas

Confess is about Auburn and Owen. Auburn has a strict plan for her future, but that all changes when she walks into Owen’s art studio. They fall quickly for each other, but they each have their own secrets. It may be in the greater good for them to stay apart rather than expose their secrets. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I hate romance novels, but I loved this book! It even won my Best Book Award! I think what I hate most about romance novels are the cheesy lines and the too perfect relationships. But Colleen Hoover avoids that. She’s been noted to say that she hates romance novels too, and never imagined that she would write one herself.  

There were a few things that I really loved about this book. First of all, I loved that people submitted confessions and they were turned into art. It reminded me of Post Secret and the book Life By Committee. There is something powerful about revealing a secret, even if it is to strangers. The people reading it may connect to the peson who shares their secret. I also love that Hoover found a real artist and used his paintings in her book. It is awesome to see different mediums being combined and a collaboration among different professions. 

This story had some good twists that were impactful and believable. I hate when a book throws in a twist just for the hell of it—when the twist is too crazy, the whole believability of the book goes out the window. These twists really do have a purpose and are what strengthen the book—and the final twist actually makes the rest of the book believable for me and justifies most of the main characters’ actions throughout the book. 

I would recommend this book to anyone that loves love and a good story. You don’t have to be a fan of romance novels to love and appreciate this book. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it hereAfter you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“It’s amazing how much distance one truth can create between two people.” 

 5/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg