Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2015

November 9 | Colleen Hoover

“‘One of the things I always try to remind myself is that everyone has scars,’ she says. “A lot of them are worse than mine. The only difference is that mine are visible and most people’s aren’t.’”

Genre: Romance
Number of Pages: 320
Perspective: Alternating First
Location: California and New York

November 9 is the story of Ben and Fallon. On the day they meet, Ben helps Fallon in an argument against her dad. They immediately have a connection, but Fallon is moving—that night. They agree to meet in the same spot on the same date every year for a few years, with no additional contact. This is so that they both have a chance to experience life and mature. But life and love are never that simple. For a complete summary, you can go here.


Any book that makes me stay up to crazy hours in the middle of the night to finish the night before a twelve hour drive deserves five stars. [Not to mention that I started it as I laid down for bed]. It's been awhile since a book has consumed me like that… and it feels GOOD. That is why another one of Colleen’s books ended up winning my Best Book Award

I hate romance novels. But why do I keep reading Colleen Hoover’s stories? I just finished her book Confess less than a month ago. When I started it, I had no clue that it was romance. So that was my excuse. But then, I knowingly read another one of her romance novels. Why? Because she’s freaking awesome! [Side note: if you don’t already follow her on social media, you should. She’s hilarious.] 

In this book, she even jokes about the cheesiness and unbelievability of most romance novels. This does contain some cheesiness, but the story is so captivating, that it doesn’t really matter. 

I don’t want to say too much since I don’t believe in giving out spoilers in a review, but it does have a similar feel to Confesswhich is good because that means she has a specific style of writing. So if you’ve read that, then you know you can expect angst and a twist. Romance novels aren’t supposed to make love look easy, right? Now I’m off to read all of her other books… If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it hereAfter you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

P.S. This is one of the quickest and easiest book reviews I have ever written.

“I think I’ve been overlooking the best parts of romance novels. Maybe the grand gesture doesn't really matter nearly as much as all the inconsequential things between the two main characters.”

 5/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o