Search This Blog

Monday, December 21, 2015

Sweet Dreams | Joan Monk Potter


Genre:  Romance.
Number of Pages: 322.
Perspective: Alternating.
Location: St. Louis, MO.

Sweet Dreams follows the romance of two coworkers, a nurse and a nurse anesthetist. Their budding romance is complicated by past baggage, two trouble-some teens, a death trial, and two very large dogs. For a complete summary, you can go here.

This is not your typical hot romance novel…it is more real. Painfully real. The main love interests are dysfunctional at best. Grace is missing a breast (due to breast cancer) and Dakota suffers from ED. I guess not all romances can be perfect…perhaps this will make some people feel better about their own relationships. It can help people see that not everything is perfect as most romance novels make things seem. 

My main issue with this book is that it was advertised as “fun” and “humorous”. Even some of the reviews say that. I did not think that anything in this book was either of those things. The main characters dealt with crisis after crisis and they fought most of the book. Sex was the only time they really seemed to be happy. I wished that there was one or two fewer crises. It made the ending seem to happy and perfect considering how negative most of the events were throughout the book. 

This is a really random thought, but for some reason, I kept comparing this book in my mind to the show Dexter [they are nothing like one another], perhaps because I just started watching it. Some of the events paralleled [like how someone involved in a case tries to console the family of the victim when they shouldn’t be talking to them at all], so I think that made my mind twist this book in some weird ways. 

The book was an easy read and it was entertaining. And I learned a few things about the medical world. But it fell flat for me. It wasn’t a terrible book and it wasn’t that good either. I just feel like this is a book that I will forget about quickly. 

If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 3/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o


*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*