Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Married Sex | Jesse Kornbluth

“Don’t…pick…up…the rope. Because there is always someone at the other end. And once you have the rope in your hand, you’re in a tug-of-war. And you’ll lose. Even if you win, you’ll lose.”

Genre: Romance. 
Number of Pages: 246.
Perspective: First. 
Location: New York.

A book called Married Sex can only be about one thing, right? Married people having sex. Yes, kind of. Except this couple had an agreement that if they were ever considering cheating, they would have to bring that third person home so that they could be a part of it together. Strange? Yes. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I have to start off by saying that it was refreshing to read a book about marriage that was written by a male author and that also used a male perspective [and not a husband and wife alternating perspectives book]. This made me trust the opinions and thoughts of the main character more. Typically any love story written by a female but told from a male perspective feels inauthentic. This felt honest and raw to me. 

That rawness really made me feel uncomfortable. Here’s this couple that has been married for over twenty years and seem perfect on the outside. Then all of a sudden, things are no longer good and everything feels broken to both of them. It was an unpleasant look at marriage that I would really rather not read. It wasn’t written in a way that made me have new beliefs about marriage, just uncomfortable. I can’t describe it any better than that. When I read Fates and Furies, I was uncomfortable with the way it presented their marriage, but I appreciated some of the ideology behind it. 

Some of the things that happened in the book were just too unbelievable. I was also left with many unanswered questions. At first, I thought this book was going to be about a marriage made better by more sex, but really the relationship seems to be ruined by sex. The wife makes many complaints about how the husband behaves, but I thought that what she did was way worse than anything he did. None of it really made sense to me in the end. 

Overall, this book was worth a read. I think people who are married [or have ever been married] would appreciate it the most. Just don’t expect anything that will blow you away [unless if you love to read about threesomes—erhm]. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“But finding work worth doing and having people in your life worth doing it for…doing the best you can every day…that feels honorable to me.” 

 3/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*