Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Real Santa | William Hazelgrove

“Here’s my chance to do something good. I want to do something I can believe in.”

Genre: Holiday Fiction.
Number of Pages: 244.
Perspective: Third.
Location: U.S.

Real Santa follows a man, George, who devises an elaborate plan to make his young daughter still believe in Santa. The plans involve a movie producer, real reindeer, home renovations, and almost $100,000 in expenses. What is the belief in Santa for a few more years worth? For a complete summary, you can go here.

I really liked the idea of this book more than I actually enjoyed the book itself. I liked all the quirky characters and that each had a reason to hate Christmas, which increased their need for some Christmas magic. And I liked the idea that a dad would try to preserve his child’s belief in Santa. The happenings in the book are a little ridiculous, which sort of adds to the fun. However, the daughter is supposed to be incredibly smart and gifted, yet she doesn’t notice her chimney being widened or the strange people that have been coming by leading up to Christmas. I just think she would have caught on. I also didn’t appreciate the stereotypical accents and how the author typed them out. [Do we really need “ja” and “mate” in every other sentence from the foreign characters?]

I also felt like this book just needed a bit more editing. There was one part where a character revealed something about themselves to “Santa”. A page later the Santa states that they know about that fact and the character acts all surprised and asks, “How did you know that?” Well. You just told him. Obviously that was a mistake that slipped through the editing process. There were also quite a few typos [I have to note though, that almost every book, even best sellers, have at least one typo]. I also didn’t feel like George needed to retell his reasoning behind going through all this hassle to literally every person he meets in the entire story. It just got to be too redundant. 

But, hey, it’s pretty hard to hate a story about Christmas! It was entertaining and worth a read. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“It was a glass-half full view of life to believe that one man was capable of brining joy to children all over the world, and what was amazing was that people did believe in Santa Claus.”

3/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley, but it did not impact my review in any way.*