Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Lovely Bones | Alice Sebold

“Sometimes the dreams that come true are the dreams you never even knew you had.” 

Genre: Young Adult/Murder.
Number of Pages: 328.
Perspective: First.
Location: Pennsylvania.

After a young girl named Susie is abused and murdered by a neighbor, she sees the world from her heaven and watches her family and friends cope with her death. For a complete summary, you can go here.

This book came out when I was in middle school, and I have been wanting to read it ever since. I just never got around to it. It seemed wildly popular, so I had pretty high expectations for this book. So unfortunately, I was left feeling rather disappointed. First of all, I kind of thought this was a children’s book. But there’s rape, murder, and vivid sex scenes. So that threw me off. 

Also, Susie is a creepy ghost. She watches other people have sex [ahem: her mother]. She possesses someone else’s body and has sex with a guy while in it [also note: the woman she possesses was a lesbian. Talk about being violated].

There were a lot of useless characters and side stories that kind of converged in the end, but they really should have been cut out. The beginning and end of this book were decent. The middle was long, boring, and drawn out. 

I am glad that I finally read this book. It gave me a lot of different feelings [some good, some bad, some icky]. And I can always appreciate a book if it make me feel any kind of emotion. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Because horror on Earth is real and it is every day. It is like a flower or like the sun; it cannot be contained.”

3/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o