Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Memory Thief | Emily Colin

“I fall asleep again thinking about what it feels like to have everything you want, only to lose it…and to know what you want, but not have it.”

Genre: Romance/Paranormal. 
Number of Pages: 432.
Perspective: Third Alternating (Three Different Perspectives). 
Location: United States.

The Memory Thief is a story about a man who dies in a tragic mountain climbing expedition. He left behind his best friend, wife, and son…at least in the physical sense. His spirit lingers to try to get a message back to his family.  For a complete summary, you can go here.

The first few chapters of this book had me hooked! It was an interesting premise and started off in the middle of the action. But then it turned stale. The middle felt redundant and slow. It was still an interesting idea, but so much of the excitement and intrigue quickly faded away. 

I liked the supernatural element of this story, but again, the idea fell flat. The majority of the book was spent on the wife’s new relationship after his death. I think that was important to the story, but this whole idea could have been expanded on a lot more. The book ended up being more of a romance story with some adventure subplots, rather than being a mystery/adventure, which is the vibe I got initially. 

I liked how there were three different perspectives. I almost could have gone for four in this particular book, which I have never said about a book. Usually lots of different perspectives make a book more confusing, but in this case I think it would have added a little bit of clarity (especially since I had the wrong idea about one of the main characters from the beginning, probably because I didn’t know if I could trust what he was telling people. Having his perspective would have cleared that up quickly). 

Side note: this has probably one of the most unrelated covers I’ve ever seen on a book. Yes, there is a mother and a son in the book, but the main theme is about mountains. A lake is not a part of the book. This was a lost chance at an awesome cover.

Overall, this book was interesting and I would recommend it. I think people who like love stories would appreciate this book the most. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“When you’re doing what you’re supposed to do, the universe will help you out. It may throw you a few curveballs, but they’re all in the name of a good cause. Once you leave your path behind, that’s when you start swimming upstream..”

 3/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o