Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Porcelain Thief | Huan Hsu

Genre: Historical Memoir.
Number of Pages: 400.
Perspective: First.
Location: China.

The Porcelain Thief is a memoir about Huan’s [an American-born-Chinese man] search for his ancestors’ buried porcelain in China. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I really wanted to like this book. The concept is appealing and the author writes very well. But—I do not like history. I have never pretended to have a vast knowledge of history. I don’t even like movies or tv shows that are set in the past. It just can’t keep my interest. I guess I assumed that this book would be more so about the present day search for the treasure, but it included a detailed history of China and Hsu’s entire family lineage. With that said, I would much rather have read this in high school in place of an Asian history textbook.

I did really appreciate the parts where he talks about modern day China. Some of those parts were pretty interesting and sometimes even funny. It is clear that he put a lot of time and effort into his journey and then writing this story. I feel bad for rating this book poorly. For this first time, I think my rating is based solely on my disinterested for the topic, rather than the actual quality of the book. I just can’t give a good review to a book that takes me months to finish because I can only read a page or two at a time because I get bored and read a different book before coming back. By the end, honestly, I was just skimming the pages so I could be done already.

If you do like history and are fascinated by Chinese culture, then I think you would really like this book. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 2/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o


*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*