Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2016

A Sudden Crush | Camilla Isley

Genre: Contemporary Romantic Comedy. 
Number of Pages: 318.
Perspective: First. 
Location: Chicago/Island.

In A Sudden Crush, Joanna and her new husband are on their way to their honeymoon vacation. Due to their tardiness, they have to split up on the plane, so Joanna ends up sitting next to a rude man, Connor. The plane goes through a terrible storm, and Connor and Joanna end up stranded on an island together. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book. The story was engaging and it wasn’t a typical “insta-love” romance novel (i.e. where the main characters fall in love and are inseparable immediately after meeting). I loved the time that they spent on the deserted island, but the book lost me for a bit once [spoiler] they were back home. That part of the story just wasn’t as interesting and we were introduced to a lot of secondary characters that, honestly, didn’t add anything to the overall plot. And for the pace that the book had been going, the ending seemed too much for me. I don’t want to ruin the ending by saying more than that. 

Usually a book that tries to be cute and funny comes across as more cheesy or adolescent [humor is hard to translate in fiction], but Isley actually did a good job. I found myself smiling and laughing a little on the inside [no LOLs with this one]. 

After reading this book, I would love to go back and read her first novel. Keep your eye to for my review of that one! If you are interested in buying this book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

 4/5 Stars

*****

o Amber Gregg o

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book, but it did not impact my review in any way.*