Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Marrow | Tarryn Fisher

“The loss of innocence is the most severe of growing pains.” 

Genre: Dark Thriller. 
Number of Pages: 296.
Perspective: First. 
Location: Washington.

Marrow is the story of Margo, a girl who is struggling to escape from her neglectful, prostitute mother. She also desperately wants to get out of The Bone, her town of misfits and drug addicts. The murder of a young girl in Margo's town sets her off to take the fate of this town — and the people who live there  into her own hands. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I finished this book several weeks ago and I have been having a hard time deciding how to properly review it. I expected it to be a dark and depressing book, but I don’t think there was any way to prepare myself for this book. It started out extremely strong and I was immediately drawn into the story. The first few chapters were some of the most interesting chapters I have ever read in any book. About half way through the book the story started to get too bizarre for me. 

There is a big twist near the end that turned everything upside down. I think that the twist would have been good if it was explained better. However, I ended feeling very confused, and I did not think that the book had any sort of resolution. I was left not knowing what actually happened and had to kind of use my imagination to piece together parts of the story. I don’t like feeling like the story is incomplete.

With all that said, I cannot stop thinking about this book, which is always a good sign. I have talked about this story with my book club and many other people because it was so different from any other book I have ever read. I am very glad that I read it. It paints a beautiful and haunting picture of this small, run-down town where no one ever gets out. 

I highly recommend this book to people who like dark stories. This is not a happy, feel-good story. It is not even a redemption story. This is the story that makes you feel uncomfortable in all the best ways. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Life is all about allowing people choices to be who they want. But the majority of people choose to be worthless.” 

 4/5 Stars



Check out my reviews of Tarryn Fisher’s other books: