Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2016

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl | Jesse Andrews

“One thing I've learned about people is that the easiest way to get them to like you is to shut up and let them do the talking.”

Genre: Young Adult. 
Number of Pages: 295.
Perspective: First. 
Location: Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is exactly as the name suggests. A high school senior, Greg, is forced to become friends with Rachel because she has cancer. Greg and his “coworker” Earl love to make horrible movies. So they decide to make a movie for Rachel. For a complete summary, you can go here.

There has been a trend of death and dying in young adult fiction lately, especially cancer. Books like The Fault in Our Stars made it big and to the cinemas. In order for a young adult book about death and dying to be successful, it needs to be funny and emotional. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl attempted to be only funny and not emotional, which caused it to fall flat. 

I liked that the formatting resembled a movie script since the narrator loves to make no-budget films. That was probably the most interesting part of this book. I just didn’t like how he tried so hard to not be invested in anything. It just made the whole book feel emotionless and dry. 

Earl was by far the best character. All of the characters in this book are pretty eclectic, but Earl was described the best. I liked his no-nonsense attitude. Honestly, I didn’t realize how interesting all the characters were until I watched the movie version. All of the characters really came alive in the movie. Usually I don’t like movie versions of books, but I think that the movie version of this was actually better than the book (Gasp! I never thought I’d ever say such a thing). 

Some parts were interesting and its worth a read. If you want a different type of death and dying young adult book that doesn’t get all sappy, then this book is for you—even though I can’t help but get emotional when cancer is involved. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“The best ideas are always the simplest.”




3/5 Stars