Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2016

The Night Circus | Erin Morgenstern

"The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones.” 

Genre: Fantasy. 
Number of Pages: 387.
Perspective: Third Alternating. 
Location: Various.

The Night Circus is a fantasy novel about a mysterious traveling circus. It is run by two dueling magicians who are in a competition that was set up for them when they were just children. For a complete summary, you can go here.

This was a hard one for me to get through just because of its length and the amount of detail. Once I could focus on it, I could appreciate the detail and the world-building that the author did. But it was definitely tedious at times. I felt like I could have used more story and less description. 

Don’t expect an action packed adventure. This is a very slow-building, slow-moving book that takes place over many decades. Some cool things happen, but the best part of this book is the details. You can really picture every event and setting. That truly takes writing skill. 

I would recommend to someone who really enjoys descriptive books and world building. I'm more of a plot person, not a description person. I think I would have liked it a lot more if there was more substance to the plot. But I actually did really enjoy it. It was a change from the types of books I usually read. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see.” 


4/5 Stars

After you read the book, make sure to check out our book chat about The Night Circus!