Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Nightingale | Kristin Hannah

“It is easy to disappear when no one is looking at you.” 

Genre: Historical Fiction. 
Number of Pages: 440.
Perspective: Third Alternating. 
Location: France.

The Nightingale is a story about two sisters during World War II. They play very different roles in the fight against the Nazis, but both are forced to show extreme acts of bravery to survive and end the war. For a complete summary, you can go here.

So I want to start out by saying that I usually do not like historical fiction books. I have read a lot of World War II stories, and sometimes it can feel redundant, but this was different. I thought it was more about bravery and how that can be portrayed in different ways. Isabelle is originally known as being immature, but she is quickly seen as being very brave. Whereas Vianne does not think of herself as brave at all until the very end.

This book reminded me a lot of The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. But I thought The Storyteller was much more depressing, even though it didn't make me cry. I guess I just felt more invested in The Nightingale's characters, and I was rooting for them a lot more. I also feel like this book had a lot more hope. The Storyteller just left me feeling...icky (for lack of a better word). 

For being a historical fiction book and outside of my reading comfort-zone, I actually really enjoyed this book. It was long and took awhile to get through, but I think it offered a new perspective on a very common genre of fiction. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“But love has to be stronger than hate, or there is no future for us.” 



4/5 Stars



After you read the book, make sure to check out our book chat about The Nightingale!