Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016

Luckiest Girl Alive | Jessica Knoll


“Moving on doesn’t mean you don’t talk about it. Or hurt about it. It’s always going to hurt.” 

Genre: Thriller. 
Number of Pages: 350.
Perspective: First. 
Location: New York.

Luckiest Girl Alive is the story of Ani, an engaged woman  in NYC who seems to have it all. Dig a little bit deeper to see that she wears a mask to cover up all of her pain and the horrific events of her teenage years. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I was so in love with this book until the end. It wasn’t a bad ending, but it didn’t warrant a 5-star review for me. As soon as I got into this book (a few chapters in), I couldn’t put it down. It was fast moving and all of the characters were so intriguing! Some people compare this to Gone Girl, which is completely unfair. First of all, people need to stop comparing every new thriller with a leading woman and a twist to Gone Girl. This book was a thriller and a little bit dark, but it’s not accurate to compare it to Gone Girl. Honestly, there won’t ever be another Gone Girl.

This book is not for everyone. It deals with many difficult topics that could be triggers for people. BUT, it does open the door for a lot of conversation about things that could have—or maybe, not—been prevented. I will be discussing this book with my virtual book club, so keep an eye out for our book chat. That will contain spoilers, so I am excited to dive into all the twists a little bit more. 

A big complaint about this book is that the present-day Ani is very superficial and very annoying. I agree with that, but I think it is important for us to see how the events in her life have hardened her and changed her priorities. I think it makes sense that she ended up the way that she did. 

I really recommend this book to anyone that loves thrillers and dark books. I would classify this book as young adult, but it does have a lot of mature content. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“There is something about seeing someone from behind, something about the way people walk away, that I've always found unnervingly intimate. Maybe it's because the back of the body isn't on guard the way the front is - the slouch of the shoulders and the flex in the back muscles, that's the most honest you'll ever see a person.”






4/5 Stars