Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Nest | Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney

“She was so much better at being alone; being alone came more naturally to her. She led a life of deliberate solitude, and if occasional loneliness crept in, she knew how to work her way out of that particular divot. Or even better, how to sink in and absorb its particular comforts.”

Genre: Literary Fiction. 
Number of Pages: 368.
Perspective: Third Alternating. 
Location: New York City.

The Nest is the story of the Plumb family. The adult siblings have been waiting for their portion of the family nest egg for their whole lives. Now it is finally time for the payout and all the money has to go to fix the eldest brother’s drunken mistake. Now the family fights to get the money they think it rightfully theirs. For a complete summary, you can go here.

Like many New York Times Best Sellers, this book fails to meet its hype. It was an intriguing story but didn’t offer me anything new to chew on. Every piece of this story has been told at some point. But I do love stories about dysfunctional families, especially when it includes some realistic problems (even if they may be slightly exaggerated). 

Overall, it was an interesting story and I liked how the characters all tied together. However, I could have done without some of the side stories. The number of characters prevented me from truly caring about any members of the Plumb family [Not to mention the fact that I had to keep reminding myself who all the characters were. And why would you name two of the main characters Walter and Walker?!]. I think cutting out some subplots would have allowed for more character development. The biggest changes happen between the end of the story and the epilogue, so we don’t even get to see a lot of the transformations. 

The prologue was very intriguing, and caught my interest immediately, but rest of the story didn’t follow suit. The ending was also kind of lackluster. With that said, I did enjoy it and it was a quick read. I would still recommend this book, especially to people who like books with a lot of drama. This book reminded me of a soap opera—pregnancies, affairs, car accidents, fights over money, and strange coincidences. The writing was well done and kept me engaged, so I can’t really complain. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Parents are temporary custodians, keeping watch and offering love and trying to leave the child better than they found him.” 



4/5 Stars