Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2016

Why Not Me? | Mindy Kaling


“Work hard, know your s**t, show your s**t, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine.” 


Genre: Humorous Memoir. 
Number of Pages: 228.
Perspective: First. 
Location: New York and California.

This book is a collection of essays/short stories that range from Mindy’s experiences on The Office and The Mindy Project to other random events from her adult life. [Thank God. I don’t need anymore celebrity childhood stories.] There was even one chapter that was a series of made-up emails between her and coworkers if she had ended up as a high school teacher. This was the best part of the whole book! I actually laughed out loud in my work kitchen during my lunch break. For a complete summary, you can go here.

If you’ve ever read any of my other reviews of memoirs, you probably know that I hate memoirs. The non-linear and disorganized nature of them irritates me. And, quite frankly, I don’t care enough about most celebrities to read 300+ pages about their lives. So why do I keep reading them? Because I hoped that one day I would find a truly enjoyable memoir. Well, that day has finally come! 

I love Mindy as an actress and now I love her as a writer. She is bubbly, but honest. She is truly funny, even in writing, which I think is extremely challenging to do. There was not one part of this book that I didn’t enjoy. It was short, but that was perfect! As stated above, most memoirs are WAY too long and lose my interest after the first hundred pages or so. The length of this book was just enough to give me a few days of humor and an easy read, but it was not long enough to feel like a chore to finish. 

I definitely recommend this book to anyone! Women would probably enjoy it more, but all fans of The Office or The Mindy Project would get a kick out of it. The only reason why I didn’t give it 5 stars is because it’s a memoir. I’m a stubborn person and cannot allow myself to rate a memoir so highly. Maybe one day. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“People get scared when you try to do something, especially when it looks like you're succeeding. People do not get scared when you're failing. It calms them. But when you're winning, it makes them feel like they're losing or, worse yet, that maybe they should've tried to do something too, but now it's too late. And since they didn't, they want to stop you. You can't let them.” 




4/5 Stars