Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2016

Q & A With Author Nikki LeClair




Hi, Nikki! Great to have you here. What are your ambitions for your writing career? What would your career look like in an ideal world?

Honestly, the further I dive into the crazy world of being an author, the more humble I am about it. Years ago I would have screamed ‘My goal is to be the next Sophie Kinsella!!! (Okay, that’s still partly true), but right now my ambitions are small. I’d love to win Readers Favorite, and figure out a fail-proof system to actually get reviews from readers, for me and my author mates. In an ideal world, I would be able to write at least six hours a day without being bothered!

Yeah, getting reviews can be one of the biggest challenges for authors. What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

Housewives of New Jersey. Hands down. I love those cat-fights! It used to be Grey’s Anatomy but then they killed off Mark Sloan so I cut it! 


Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?

I DO believe that you can lock eyes with someone and feel something incredibly powerful that draws you towards them. I believe it’s a chemistry that will either ignite further or flicker away, depending on the personalities of the individuals as time goes by. Fate is something I definitely believe in, especially when it comes to the people who cross your path.  It seems to always happen at just the right time. The universe delivers what you need, even if it’s not what you think you want.

That's a great way to look at life! What is the strangest fact about you?

I like disco music; this surprises a lot of people because I’m only 29. I’m talking Donna Summer, Maxine Nightingale, Anita Ward, you name it! I have loved those gorgeous, sequin-wearing, big hair ladies since I was in high-school.                          

Which writers inspire you?

I adore Sophie Kinsella, Lucy Montgomery, Joanne Fluke, and Helen Fielding. Also, Oscar Wilde! I have been in love with him since High-School (I even carry a mini Oscar Wilde quote book in my purse!). 


What are you working on right now?

Right now I’m working on the next book in the Haunting Me series which centres around Christmas time.

That's fun! Why do you write?

I have an over-active imagination. If I don’t get these characters out on paper then I feel a bit insane. I’m an extremely restless person, and writing is the only time you’ll ever find me sitting still, completely absorbed. I enjoy the escape writing allows me, I love the moments where in my head I get to be a completely different person with different pet peeves, quirks, desires, etc. 


Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?

Write, write, write, and read. Don’t let things get in the way, be selfish about your writing and be prepared to be met with many people who don’t understand you. Then, research like a crazy person to find out whether self-publishing or traditional publishing is the way to go for YOU. Reach out to authors; it’s so easy to do that now via Facebook and twitter. Recently I was at a crossroads, whether to accept one of the publishing contracts I received or to go the self-pub route, so I contacted some indie authors I knew. The advice they gave me was outstanding, and I never felt more confident in my decision. 

That's great advice! Different routes work better for individual people. What book(s) are you currently reading?

I have two books on the go. After the Lie by Kery Fishef , and Luna Tree by Maya Berger. 

I'll have to add those to my reading list! Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Other than, THANK YOU SO MUCH for featuring me on your site!!!


Oh, you are so welcome! How can readers discover more about you and you work?

I’m easy to connect with! You can find me on FacebookTwitter at @NikkiL_Books, or my site.

Thanks for joining me, Nikki, and best of luck in your future writing!