Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2016

American Wife | Taya Kyle

“Never complain about the price of a gift from your spouse--accept it with love and gratitude. You can’t put a price on romance.”


Genre: War Memoir. 
Number of Pages: 329.
Perspective: First. 

This is the memoir of the famous sniper Chris Kyle’s wife. She tells her experiences of being a military wife and how she dealt with the death of her husband. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I listened to this as an audiobook on a road trip. I chose this book because I watched the movie American Sniper and then listened to the audiobook version on my last road trip. Honestly, I don’t feel like Taya offered a lot in this story to add to Chris' story. The first half of the book, she is basically restating all of her husband’s book, but from her perspective. This may sound mean, but I don’t really need her perspective. If it was more of her overall experiences of being a military wife, it may have been more interesting. However, she talks mainly about Chris’ experiences while deployed. He already told his story, so I don’t need to hear it all retold. 

The second half of the book was more interesting since it was the continuation of where American Sniper left off. So we got to hear about the production of the American Sniper movie and the aftermath of Chris’ death. By about three-fourths through the audiobook, honestly, I was just tired of hearing Taya talk. I guess that’s just an issue with audiobooks in general that aren't read by famous personalities. 

I would recommend this book for fans of American Sniper or for people looking to get some insight into the life of a military family. I suppose it could also be comforting for military spouses who have had to deal with death, as it talks about how to cope. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Don’t get too tied up in your plans for the future. No one really knows their future anyway.”






3/5 Stars