Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Daddy, Stop Talking! | Adam Carolla

Just be there in the moment, instead of missing it by trying to capture it. That's what your kid really wants. They want you to be paying attention.”


Genre: Parenting/Humor. 
Number of Pages: 239.
Perspective: First. 

This is a brutally honest book about parenting by the popular TV and podcast personality, Adam Carolla. He takes a look at his upbringing, his own parenting style, and modern day parents with a humorous twist. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I experienced this book as an audiobook on an 18-hour drive across the country. I always choose nonfiction books on these drives because I tend to get distracted by, you know, driving. It is easy for me to pay attention to whatever is happening on the road and still understand what is happening in the story. It even allows me time to daydream a little bit. 

I also always try to pick audiobooks that are read by the celebrity that wrote the story. It just helps to have the story told by the person who wrote it (and it doesn’t hurt to have someone who is used to entertaining an audience). Honestly, this book was the best delivery of an audiobook I have ever heard. Carolla formatted it to sound more like an extended podcast episode. He ad-libbed a bit and even had some conversations with his kids and his assistant. It really helped keep my interest and make me forget that it was a book. This is the first time I’ve ever said that I think this is better as an audiobook than it would be as an actual book. A+ on delivery! 

Now, I didn’t always agree with what he was saying about parents and children, but he said a lot of honest (and funny) things. I wouldn’t raise my children the same way he does—and I definitely would not want to be married to him—but I enjoyed listening to what he had to say. He even got pretty deep and personal in a few chapters. 

This book is set up as a series of random stories. I wouldn’t call it a memoir, since it is just stories related to parenting and it isn’t in any particular order. It would be a good book to pick up and read a few chapters at a time in between reading other books (I am guilty of doing this sometimes…).

I didn’t really know Carolla before this, but I will definitely start listening to his podcasts now! I recommend this book to people who don’t get offended by crude or non-PC humor. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Simply going to therapy helps. Just carving out an hour for yourself, and deciding that you and your life are worth spending some time and money on makes a difference.”








4/5 Stars