Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Q & A With Author Aimee Horton



I am joined today by the author Aimee Horton as she relaunched and rebrands her The Perfect Disaster series with all new covers. Hi Aimee, what are your ambitions for your writing career? What would your career look like in an ideal world?

Oh, I have a lot of unrealistic ambitions for writing, and if it were an ideal world I’d be living somewhere sunny writing on my terrace, and watching my books being turned into movies and sitcoms. HOWEVER, if I’m realistic, I’d settle for making a good living where people genuinely enjoy my books – I love to make people laugh so the thought of lots of people laughing at what I write would be amazing!

Those are awesome goals. What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

OH! Pretty Little Liars! I LOVE IT! And I was late to the party with Gossip Girl. OH OH and I’ve just started watching the Scream series on Netflix. Plus all of the Top Model franchise.

I am also a huge fan of Gossip Girl and Top Model. I am so sad that they are both over now. Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?

I’m not sure if I believe in those actual things, but I do believe things happen for a reason, however it’s not what happens, but how you deal with them that shapes your future.



That's a great way to look at things. What is the strangest fact about you?

All my fingers are bent, and as a teenager I could burp for 13 seconds.

Oh, wow! Which writers inspire you?

So many. Jonathan Harvey, Lisa Jewell, Adele Parks, Marian Keyes. But then there are writers I know in "real life" who inspire me like Kerry Barrett, Amanda Jennings and Rachael Lucas, all of them who I know the full extent of their workload; they inspire me.

What are you working on right now?

I’m currently working on my next Dottie novel, and something completely different.


Awesome, good luck! Why do you write?

Because I love it. I love to make people laugh and nothing makes me feel happier than the thought of people reading and enjoying what I write.

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?

Grow a thick skin! Not necessarily because the public will be horrible (although some people forget that authors are actual people) but for yourself. You suddenly become your own worst critique.


     

What book(s) are you currently reading?

I’ve just finished Letter’s for Scarlet and have started My Husband’s Son.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

I think the biggest thing to also comment about, is that when you’re feeling self-doubt, and you don’t want to write because you think it’s rubbish (I do this a lot) try and write just a little – just for half an hour or something. It’s amazing how quickly you get back into it.


   

How can readers discover more about you and you work?

I have my website and I make regular updates on my Facebook page along with Twitter @AimeeHorton and Instagram. I also edit and write for The Take.

Thanks for joining me Aimee, and good luck with the relaunch!