Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Q & A with Author Chelsey Krause


Hello, Chelsey! Thanks for joining me! What are your ambitions for your writing career? What would your career look like in an ideal world?
I have SO many plans, that it sometimes makes my head spin. M'kay. I'd LOVE to be a New York Times bestselling author. Several times over. I want to write books that everyone knows and reads. I'm not interested so much in fame as I am in writing books that people love and want more of. 
I plan to write at least 2-3 more chicklit type novels. I have a GREAT thriller novel based partially on my husband's great grandma, who lived in Russia and escaped a Siberian gulag labour camp. I also plan to write a dystopian novel that springs from this one question: what if you had to pass a test in order to have children? It will be set in futuristic North America, where the government is a mix of fertility cults (based on ancient Canaan fertility rites) and totalitarian regimes (like Nazi Germany and North Korea). I'm REALLY excited about that one. I picture it being similar to "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. 

Wow, that sounds very intriguing! I can't wait to read it! What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?
New Girl or Game of Thrones 

Me. Too. Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?
My left brain and right brain argue about stuff like this all of the time. Left brain says, "Sure! Absolutely!" and my right brain says, "These are romanticized notions that, while being fun and beautiful, are fantasies that exist only in books." 


What is the strangest fact about you?
I can't whistle. I've been trying to learn for years, and I just can't do it. It's embarrassing, even my friend's five-year-old can whistle! lol

Which writers inspire you?
Diana Gabaldon. Anne Rice. Stephen King. Chuck Palahniuk. Sophie Kinsella. Paige Toon. Gemma Burgess. Mitch Albom. Paullina Simons. 


What are you working on right now?
I have two ideas, and can't decide on which one to start. I have to expand on the ideas a lot more, but here's what I've got for now. You tell me which is the better idea! 
1) A woman who wants to write a BRUTALLY honest dating profile. She'll include everything you'd be afraid of a new boyfriend finding out about: Chin hairs, stretch marks, embarrassing relatives, weird habits, etc. You name it, it'll be in there. By putting her worst foot forward, she hopes that she can find someone who will love her not only at her best, but also at her worst. 
2) A woman who wants to run away from an embarrassing public scandal, that will likely ruin her career. She hides out at a yoga retreat, only, to be mistaken for the new yoga teacher. The problem is: she knows diddly squat about yoga. She must "fake" her way through it, or risk exposure she isn't ready to face. 

Those both sound interesting! My favorite would have to be the dating profile one. I think a lot of people put on a "front" with all the online dating that exists now. It is easy to hide flaws until after talking to someone for awhile. Anyway, why do you write?
There's no easy answer that, though this meme sums it up pretty nicely. 


Too funny! Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?
First, just write the book. A common pitfall that writers can easily fall into is to do writer-type stuff in order to look busy, but it distracts from actual writing. They join writer groups and read books on writing and take workshops on writing. And this can all be great! Helpful, even! But, I know from experience (and from being around other writers) can these well-meaning activities can prevent you from doing any real work. Another pitfall is worrying whether a publisher or agent will like it, or if there's a market for your book. Doesn't matter at this stage. Just write a compelling story, something that excites you, and worry about publishing later. 
And remember, your first draft will likely disappoint you, and that's perfectly normal. You can also revise. So just relax, and finish writing your book. 
When it comes time to actually publish, make sure you've edited it, looked for plot holes, taken out unnecessary scenes, etc. You want to present a polished product. Having an online presence is a good idea too (ex. blog or author Facebook page), so editors, agents, fans, etc. can look you up, and get a feel for who you are. If you want to go the self-publishing route, make sure you do your research. Kindle direct publishing is a good place to start. If you want to go with traditional publishing or a hybrid or indie route, then make sure you read the submission guidelines for each person you send your manuscript. And remember to send a personal email to each. An impersonal, "stock" email will seem obvious and turn them off. 
And lastly! IF you're offered a publishing contract, make sure you look that publisher up online, see if they have any bad press, and get a lawyer that is familiar with intellectual property rights to review the contract for you. And make sure that YOU retain copyright. 

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. What books are you currently reading?
I currently have two books on the go: "The Vampire Lestat" by Anne Rice and "Remember Me?" by Sophie Kinsella. 


How can readers discover more about you and you work?
I love hearing from readers! You can connect with me on my: 

You can also find my latest book, "All Shook Up" in print and eBook here: 
eBook: 

Thanks again for joining me and good luck with your new projects, espcially the thrillers!