Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Furiously Happy | Jenny Lawson

“Don’t sabotage yourself. There are plenty of other people willing to do that for free."


Genre: Memoir/Humor.
Number of Pages: 329.
Perspective: First.

This book is a collection of stories by Jenny Lawson as she tries to combat anxiety, depression, and other mental illnesses by being “Furiously Happy” instead. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I normally HATE memoirs. I don’t know why I keep reading them. But THIS is why. This is the memoir that I have been wishing for! This book is the first memoir that I truly loved. I ate this book up. But, I really think this will be a polarizing book. Some people won’t get her humor and will not enjoy this book at all, other people will relate or at least empathize, and will absolutely love this book. Personally, I gave this my Best Book Award.

Jenny is vulgar, an exaggerator, and self-admittedly crazy. But, boy, is she hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud, and not many books can do that to me. I more likely to cry from a book than laugh. Warning: Do not read this book in public if you get embarrassed by laughing to yourself. 

Sandwiched in between crazy hijinks, Jenny shares a few serious stories about her struggles with her mental illnesses. Even though she tries her hardest to combat them, there are still tough days, weeks, and months. I think this book is eye -opening to people who brush off anxiety and depression. It can also be a beacon for people who do struggle with similar issues. 

My favorite part of this book was her story about renovating her house. My husband and I are nearing the end of our home renovation, and Jenny perfectly summarized all of the ridiculousness that is contractors and renovation projects. 

I recommend this to people who struggle with mental illness, or to people who just need a good laugh. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 

“Don’t make the same mistakes that everyone else makes. Make wonderful mistakes. Make the kind of mistakes that make people so shocked that they have no other choice but to be a little impressed.” 






5/5 Stars