Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2016

Q & A with Author Glynis Astie



Hi, Glynis! Thanks for joining me. Let's get started. What are your ambitions for your writing career?

Well, Amber, I’m going to start this interview off with a bang. I have no idea what my ambitions are. Fabulous, right? Never in a million years did I think I would become an author. Yet somehow, four years have passed, I have released four books, and I’m still not sure where I see myself in the future. I love writing. I love bringing characters to life and making them say funny things. I get a total high over finding the perfect words to express a character’s feelings. And when I finally figure out how to bring my story to a magnificent close? That smile lasts for weeks!

So while I don’t have any grand aspirations, I do plan to write as long as it continues to make me (and hopefully a few readers out there) happy. What more can I ask for? 

What would your career look like in an ideal world?

No matter what I do, ideally it would be in a part-time capacity. My two boys are my first priority and I’m thrilled to be able to join in all their activities, help with homework and let them drive me completely crazy. I revel in it, since my mother wasn’t able to be home with us and I always felt like I missed out. Writing is the perfect choice for this as there is a degree of flexibility—particularly as a self-published author. It looks like I just may have my ideal career in my hot little hands already!

What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

Oy vey! I have a long list. I absolutely love Gilmore Girls. (How many more days until the reboot?) I am also a total sucker for Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory and Once Upon a Time. Thanks to Netflix, I can also indulge in my obsession with Scrubs, Raising Hope and Hart of Dixie. There’s actually a much longer list, but I don’t want to bore you.  


Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?

Absolutely! I believe fate brought me to my husband. It wasn’t exactly love at first sight, since I found his gorgeous appearance and spirited pursuit of me rather intimidating. (My love life until then involved men who believed it was best to show little to no interest in me.) Thankfully, I fought through my fear, got to know this amazing man and found myself engaged five weeks later. It was a crazy, whirlwind romance and I’m grateful for him every single day. Our story is so incredible, it became the subject of my debut novel, French Twist. Writing that was so much fun, I ended up penning a trilogy. (Spoiler alert! There will be at least one more book in the series.)

What is the strangest fact about you?

Again, this is a rather long list. As my oldest son often reminds me, I’m a total dork. But I embrace this fact! Truthfully, I don’t trust people who aren’t at least a little weird. I sing (badly) when the urge strikes, I dance to express joy (wherever I may be), I quote random movies constantly, I have a ridiculous love of puns and bad jokes, and I’m never afraid to look silly. I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve embarrassed my sons just by being myself. They take it in stride though, so there’s that.

Which writers inspire you?

I have a great love of chick lit and women’s fiction. Give me some Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner, Sophie Kinsella and Helen Fielding and I’m good to go. The delightful characters, engaging storylines and kick ass writing that these women bring forth inspires me to do great things. Oooh! And Jen Lancaster. Her snark is legendary. I absolutely love her! Liane Moriarty and Kristin Hannah both take my breath away with their intriguing and heartfelt tales. Reading their work has inspired me to try more serious subject matter one day.

What are you working on right now?

Right now I’m writing French Roast, the fourth book in my French Twist series. After taking a year off to write my first standalone novel, Gamer Girl, it’s nice to be back with the Bennett-Durand family once more. Writing a series can be difficult, especially when you keep the same main character as I have, rather than switching things up with different personalities. Each book needs to deal with a new topic or show how your character has grown in a significant way. I would like to think I’ve accomplished this thus far, but I may be delusional. (Ha!) The fourth installment in the series will be a novella dealing with a tragic event in my heroine’s life, one I went through myself as the series is based on real-life events. Writing it scares me a little, but I think this is true of most things which turn out to be really great. I have high hopes!

Why do you write?

I think I got ahead of myself earlier. As I said, I love the act of writing. (Except when I want to pull my hair out because my characters aren’t making sense. Either that or they’re not speaking to me…) I write because it soothes me, gives me a creative outlet and, if I do things right, brings joy to other people. When I read a review of one of my books that tells me the reader laughed out loud? Best. Feeling. Ever.


Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?

Don’t give up! Writing and publishing your own book is an extremely daunting task. The process will make you crazy, it will make you doubt yourself, but you must stay strong. If you’re not already part of at least one author group—either through Facebook, Twitter or *gasp* in person—join one. Join them all! There is no way I would have survived without the incredible people I have me through these channels. The advice, perspective and emotional support from my author peeps has been invaluable. They get me in a way my loved ones can’t and they keep me going when my writing life gets tough. It truly takes a village!

What books are you currently reading?

I’m lucky enough to snag advance copies of books my very talented friends produce. I literally just finished Mixing It Up (available October 19th) by the extremely talented Tracie Banister. Right before that was Catch a Falling Star (available now) by Geralyn Corcillo. I highly recommend both authors. I have read every single thing they’ve written and I can tell you without a doubt these ladies will keep you engaged for the long haul. Not to mention make you laugh really hard! The last book (well, screenplay, if you want to get technical) I read outside of chick lit/women’s fiction was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan and I really enjoyed this next chapter in the series.


How can readers discover more about you and your work?

I’m all over the place! You can find my musings on a variety of topics split between Facebook, Twitter, and my blog. Please stop by and say hello! 

Thanks again for joining me, Glynis! Readers can also buy your book here. Good luck writing!