Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2016

Q & A with Author Leslie DJ


Hi, Leslie. Thanks for joining me! Let's get started. What are your ambitions for your writing career?

Before publishing “That Girl” I told myself that I would be satisfied with just seeing my work in print. Now that I’ve achieved that I hope to turn Stacey Melendez’s journey into a three book series. 

What would your career look like in an ideal world?

In a perfect world I’d be a full-time writer. I’d author at least two book series and write about music for Rolling Stone magazine.

Those sound like great goals. What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

I am a sucker for all things Bravo. There isn’t a Real Housewives franchise that I don’t love or love to hate. The Real Housewives of Atlanta and New York are by far superior to the other franchises. 

Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?

I’m a hopeless romantic and believe in love at first sight.

What is the strangest fact about you?

That I’ve interviewed music icons like Joan Jett, Marky Ramone and Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls.

That's pretty cool! Which writers inspire you?

Julia Alvarez and Junot Diaz. I’ve had the honor of meeting both on separate occasions and they were very encouraging and gracious. 

What are you working on right now?

I’m finishing up my second novel titled, “Luz” about a promising young Latina writer from Washington Heights, a predominantly Dominican neighborhood in New York City. Who upon receiving top honors for her short story, "Here and There" from the prestigious Quisqueya Writers of Tomorrow Association, Luz's boyfriend, Luke, suggests a couple's getaway to the Dominican Republic where he plans to propose; but when the trip to the Island brings her face to face with a past love, Luz is torn between honoring her commitment to Luke and revisiting an island romance. The story is told through a series of vignettes that chronicle Luz's struggle to reconcile her American identity with her Dominican side.


Oh, that sounds very interesting! I can't wait to read it! Why do you write?

I think I have something to say and, also, it’s the only thing I ever really wanted to do. 

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?

Ask for help. Writing can be a lonely, lengthy process but you can’t do it alone. There are many book lovers you can connect with online who will gladly beta read your work. Beta readers are crucial for any writer they help test the waters and can point out any plot holes.

Looking for beta readers is great advice. What book are you currently reading?

I just started Amy Schumer’s “The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo” I’m a big fan of her work and female comedians in general. 


That's on my to-read list! How can readers discover more about you and your work?

You can follow me on tumblr or like my Facebook page. If you’re into random thoughts about the Real Housewives, rock n roll and my Chihuahua, Joey, you can follow me on twitter and Instagram @sinistergirlz 

Awesome! Thanks for joining me on Judging More Than Just The Cover!