Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2016

Q & A With Author Julie Archer



Hi, Julie! Thanks for joining me today! Let's get started. What are your ambitions for your writing career?

I’d like writing to be my only job! Ideally, I’d like to become a traditionally published bestselling author. It would also be great to have a strong following of people that are interested when my next book comes out. But in all honesty, if I can break even some day, that would be great!

What would your career look like in an ideal world?

Pretty much the same as above. I’d love to just focus on writing and not have the variety of other jobs as well.


What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

Just the one? I have several! Hollyoaks (UK soap), Made in Chelsea (UK reality TV series focusing on the lives and loves of the rich people in Chelsea) and Pretty Little Liars (US teen drama).

Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?

I believe that things happen for a reason. If something doesn’t work out for you, then it wasn’t meant to be and something better will come along. For example, I lost out on a piece of recruitment work earlier this year, but that enabled me to focus on writing and editing and getting Cocktails, Rock Tales & Betrayals published. And I got a job in a bookshop instead!


That's awesome! I agree that things seem to fall in place the way they need to. What is the strangest fact about you?

Hmm, that’s a tough one! I guess one of the strangest things that happened to me was hanging out with Duff McKagan (Guns N’ Roses bass player) after a gig he did in London. He’s surprisingly shy in real life, which is something you wouldn’t necessarily expect from a global rock star!

So cool! Which writers inspire you?

Gosh, that’s a hard one! There are authors that I love, such as the late Jackie Collins, Louise Bagshawe, Tilly Bagshawe, Tasmina Perry and Ilana Fox. I pretty much have every one of their books and it would be amazing to be as successful as them. But I’m truly inspired by those writers that have done it themselves and made a success of it, such as Carrie Elks and Marissa Farrar, who then pay it forward to new and aspiring authors like me. Oh, and Jenny Kane/Kay Jaybee/Jennifer Ash who has a million pens names and personas and still manages to make time for newbies.


What are you working on right now?

I’m about a quarter of the way through the first draft of book two. It’s a standalone/sequel to Cocktails and picks up what happens next. I took a couple of minor characters and made them the main focus, as well as adding some new people into the mix. It’s called One Last Shot and I plan for it to be out in April 2017.

Wow, that's awesome! Good luck! Why do you write?

I don’t know what else I would do if I didn’t write. It’s something I’ve always done, even as a child – although that may stem from being an only child and having imaginary friends to make up stories with. I like the sense of escapism it can bring. Your characters can say and do things that you might not be brave enough to. And it can be quite cathartic. Although I wouldn’t always let everything I’ve ever written be read!

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?

I’d say just go for it! I have a fantastic support network and had loads of advice from other authors who had self-published. Anything from how to format an ebook to how you should set up your marketing plan to pointing me in the direction of forums and websites that will be useful. It gave me the confidence to do it myself and I couldn’t be more proud of what I’ve achieved.

What books are you currently reading?

I have a couple on the go. One is Truman Capote’s Breakfast At Tiffany’s. I saw the film ages ago and loved it and wanted to see how the book was different. The other is Survivor by Marissa Farrar. I also recently read my first Agatha Christie novel.

How can readers discover more about you and your work?

You can find me procrastinating on Facebook or on my website. Cocktails, Rock Tales & Betrayals is available for Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Kobo and Scribd and is available in paperback from Amazon or my website.

Great! Thanks for joining the Judging More Than Just The Cover family!