Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Q & A With Author Karin Gillespie


Hi Karin! Welcome to Judging More Than Just The Cover. Let's get started. What are your ambitions for your writing career?

It’s important to always grow as a writer, so with each novel I try something a little different and try to challenge myself. When I think of my ambitions, I think of my readers. My first goal is to entertain them but I also want to make them think and affect them emotionally. I would love for my books to affect their lives in some positive way no matter how small.

What would your career look like in an ideal world?

Again, I tend to see it from the point of view of the reader and ideally I’d like them to get a bit more from each book.     

What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

I love the Mindy Project. It has an over-the-top humor that’s almost impossible to pull off in a novel.


I love that show too! Do you believe in fate or love at first sight?

My husband and I absolutely did not connect the first time we met or even the second and third. But fate was determined and kept pushing us together in such bizarre and unbelievable ways, we both stopped resisting and decided to fall in love. 

What is the strangest fact about you?
When I was a baby my head buzzed so loudly you could hear it from the next room. The doctors never figured out what caused it and one day it simply stopped. I might be an alien. Who knows?

Fascinating! Which writers inspire you?

Anne Tyler, Elizabeth Strout, Liane Moriarty.  

Anne Tyler and Liane Moriarty are on my list of favorites too. What are you working on right now?

A novel about three generations of Southern women called “The Debutante’s Bible.”

Why do you write?

It reveals so much more about the world and myself then just thinking or speaking. Also it’s my chief passion.

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book?

I’ve not self-published so I can’t speak from vast experience but I’d say you’d need to like being an entrepreneur. 

What book are you currently reading?

I just finished a sprawling 600-page debut novel called The Nix. It was extremely entertaining. If you liked The Nest, you’ll probably enjoy it.


I did enjoy The Nest, so I'll add it to my to-read list! How can readers discover more about you and your work?

I have a website.

Thanks for joining me, Karin, and best of luck with your book!