Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2017

A Monster Calls | Patrick Ness

“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.”


Pages: 205. 
Perspective: Third. 
Time to Read: 2 hours and 3 minutes. 
Genre: Fantasy / Young Adult. 
Location: England.

This is a story about a monster who comes to visit a young boy in the night. The boy, Conor, is bullied at school, and his mom is dying from cancer. His daytime and nighttime are filled with nightmares. For a complete summary, you can go here.

The first thing I said to my husband when I finished reading this book was, "Man, that was depressing." It was depressing, but it was so much more than that. It was truly beautiful. The writing and storytelling were just incredible. It included illustrations that were dark and creepy, but also magical. This is a story of loss and grief, and how to cope. I think this book could be very powerful for any teen who has had someone close to them die. 

As a daughter of a cancer survivor, I know that depression and fear can feel like a monster inside. This book breathtakingly paints a picture of that exact feeling. I devoured this book and I cannot wait until the movie version comes out, which is why I gave this book my Best Book Award

I would recommend this to anyone over 13 due to some thematic elements. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 





“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”



5/5 Stars