Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Dad is Fat | Jim Gaffigan

“Raising kids may be a thankless job with ridiculous hours, but at least the pay sucks.”


Genre: Comedy Memoir.
Number of Pages: 288.
Perspective: First.
Location: New York City, NY.

Dad is Fat is a hilarious and honest look at parenthood by the comedian Jim Gaffigan. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I listened to this as an audiobook on one of my last road trips. Jim Gaffigan voiced his own story, which is really the only time I care for audiobooks. Jim made this book feel more like a stand-up comedy show. There were many times that I was actually laughing aloud in my car. He is hilarious!

I am not yet a parent, but I do work with children, so I found his stories accurate and hysterical! Parents who take themselves and their children too seriously would probably be offended by this story. Jim attempts to make humor out of the every day struggles of raising a large family in a small city apartment. He realizes that he and his wife are not perfect parents, but it is clear that they are wonderful parents who care deeply for their children. Sometimes parents just need to laugh a little at themselves and their children. 

I think the only people that would enjoy this book are parents or people that work in early childhood education.  If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 




“I love sleep. I need sleep. We all do, of course. There are those people that don't need sleep. I think they're called 'successful.”




4/5 Stars